Thursday, April 13, 2017

Blog Assignment 6 - comment

Hello Kat,

First off, I really enjoyed reading your post! Your writing made me chuckle few times :) It was a very interesting topic and I agree entirely with your point. When I first learned about redistricting and gerrymandering in high school, it was really shocking to me at first because I grew up in another country where the president is directly elected by plurality vote. It definitely is a problem that the legislatures are abusing their power for their own benefits. I feel like this system makes some voices not to be heard. The minorities in each district might think that it is meaningless to vote because they know that they would not be able to win. So I agree that redistricting is deterring people from voting.

One thing I was worried is how to solve this problem. I thought it was a good solution to make a law that states the district lines are drawn based on population only, not on politics. However, the legislation is proposed by a member of the Congress, and the Congress consists of more Republicans than Democrats. So it is questionable whether there will be some sort of political factors when regulating this problem. Anyway, like you said, redistricting and gerrymandering are really needed for well-functioning democracy.

No comments: